On 11 Dec 2017, at 18:24, Gregory Farnum
<gfar...@redhat.com<mailto:gfar...@redhat.com>> wrote:

Hmm, this does all sound odd. Have you tried just restarting the primary OSD
yet? That frequently resolves transient oddities like this.
If not, I'll go poke at the kraken source and one of the developers more
familiar with the recovery processes we're seeing here.
-Greg

Hi Greg,

I’ve tried this, no effect. Also, on Friday, we tried removing an OSD (not the
primary), the OSD that was chosen to replace it had it’s LevelDB grow to 7GiB
by now. Yesterday it was 5.3.
We’re not seeing any errors logged by the OSDs with the default logging level
either.

Do you have any comments on the fact that the primary sees the PG’s state as
being different to what the peers think?
Now, with a new primary I’m seeing the last peer in the set reporting it’s
‘active+clean’, as is the primary, all other are saying it’s
‘active+clean+degraded’ (according to PG query output).

This problem is quite weird I think. I copied a LevelDB and dumped a key list;
the largest in GiB had 66% the number of keys that the average LevelDB has. The
main difference with the ones that have been around for a while is that they
have a lot more files that were last touched on the days when the problem
started but most other LevelDBs have compacted those away and only have about 7
days old files (as opposed to 3 week old ones that the big ones keep around).
The big ones do seem to do compactions, they just don’t seem to get rid of that
stuff.

Thanks,

George

On Fri, Dec 8, 2017 at 7:30 AM