Hi, I was wondering what naming scheme you use for naming RBDs in different
pools. There are no strict rules I know, so what might be a best practice?
Something like the target service like fileserver_students or webservers_xen,
webservers_vmware?

A good naming scheme might be helpful :)

Most of cephers use OpenStack Cinder for do this job. Cinder use database for save "your_pretty_VM_name_Disk1" as human readable image name and uuid for RBD naming ('ec28e6ec-7ffc-4562-b8fe-2a12c52b6211' for example). This is important because this helps to avoid human errors.