On 01/22/2018 08:38 PM, Massimiliano Cuttini wrote:
> The web interface is needed because:*cmd-lines are prune to typos.*
And you never misclick, indeed;

> SMART is widely used.
SMART has never, and will never be any useful for failure prediction.

> My opinion is pretty simple: the more a software is complex the more
> you'll be prune to errors.
As you said, "from great power comes great costs".
Ceph is not for dummies (albeit installing and maintening a running
cluster is pretty straighforward).

> A web interface can just make the basics checks before submitting a new
> command to the pool.
And the command line does exactly the same. Try removing a pool, you
will see.
MMI's are the same : if errors can be prevented, they shall.
To prevent all errors, you must remove all functionnalities.

> To say "/ceph is not for rookies, //it's better having a threshold"/ can
> be said only from a person that really don't love it's own data (keeping
> management as error free as possible), but instead just want to be the
> only one allowed to manage them.
Yeah, well, whatever, most system engineers know how to handle Ceph.
Most non-system engineers do not.
A task, a job, I don't master other's job, hence it feels natural that
others do not master mine.

Sorry if this sound so strange to you.