Hi Janne and others,

We used the “ceph osd reweight-by-utilization “ command to move a small amount
of data off of the top four OSDs by utilization.  Then we updated the pg_num
and pgp_num on the pool from 512 to 1024 which started moving roughly 50% of
the objects around as a result.  The unfortunate issue is that the weights on
the OSDs are still roughly equivalent and the OSDs that are nearfull were still
getting allocated objects during the rebalance backfill operations.

At this point I have made some massive changes to the weights of the OSDs in an
attempt to stop Ceph from allocating any more data to OSDs that are getting
close to full.  Basically the OSD with the lowest utilization remains weighted
at 1 and the rest of the OSDs are now reduced in weight based on the percent
usage of the OSD + the %usage of the OSD with the amount of data (21% at the
time).  This means the OSD that is at the most full at this time at 86% full
now has a weight of only .33 (it was at 89% when reweight was applied).  I’m
not sure this is a good idea, but it seemed like the only option I had.  Please
let me know if I’m making a bad situation worse!

I still have the question on how this happened in the first place and how to
prevent it from happening going forward without a lot of monitoring and
reweighting on weekends/etc to keep things balanced.  It sounds like Ceph is
really expecting that objects stored into a pool will roughly have the same
size, is that right?

Our backups going into this pool have very large variation in size, so would it
be better to create multiple pools based on expected size of objects and then
put backups of similar size into each pool?

The backups also have basically the same names with the only difference being
the date which it was taken (e.g. backup name difference in subsequent days can
be one digit at times), so does this mean that large backups with basically the
same name will end up being placed in the same PGs based on the CRUSH
calculation using the object name?

Thanks,
-Bryan