Saw that, too, however it does not work:

root@server3:/var/lib/ceph/mon/ceph-server3# ceph -n mon. --keyring keyring
auth caps client.admin mds 'allow *' osd 'allow *' mon 'allow *'
2018-02-16 17:23:38.154282 7f7e257e3700  0 librados: mon. authentication error
(13) Permission denied
[errno 13] error connecting to the cluster

... which kind of makes sense, as the mon. key does not have
capabilities for it. Then again, I wonder how monitors actually talk to
each other...

--
Modern, affordable, Swiss Virtual Machines. Visit www.datacenterlight.ch