On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 7:27 PM, Anthony D'Atri <a...@dreamsnake.net> wrote:
>>> I was thinking we might be able to configure/hack rbd mirroring to mirror to
>>> a pool on the same cluster but I gather from the OP and your post that this
>>> is not really possible?
>>
>> No, it's not really possible currently and we have no plans to add
>> such support since it would not be of any long-term value.
>
> The long-term value would be the ability to migrate volumes from, say, a
> replicated pool to an an EC pool without extended downtime.

That's why the Mimic release should offer a specific set of "rbd
migration XYX" actions to perform minimal downtime migrations. I was
saying that hacking around rbd-mirror to add such a feature has
limited long-term value given the release plan. Plus, in the immediate
term you can use a kernel md RAID device or QEMU+librbd to perform the
migration for you w/ minimal downtime (albeit with potentially more
hands-on setup involved).

Jason