Am 23.02.2018 um 01:05 schrieb Gregory Farnum:

> On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 2:46 PM Oliver Freyermuth
> <freyerm...@physik.uni-bonn.de <mailto:freyerm...@physik.uni-bonn.de>> wrote:
>
>     Dear Cephalopodians,
>
>     in a Luminous 12.2.3 cluster with a pool with:
>     - 192 Bluestore OSDs total
>     - 6 hosts (32 OSDs per host)
>     - 2048 total PGs
>     - EC profile k=4, m=2
>     - CRUSH failure domain = host
>     which results in 2048*6/192 = 64 PGs per OSD on average, I run into
> issues with PG overdose protection.
>
>     In case I reinstall one OSD host (zapping all disks), and recreate the
> OSDs one by one with ceph-volume,
>     they will usually come back "slowly", i.e. one after the other.
>
>     This means the first OSD will initially be assigned all 2048 PGs (to
> fulfill the "failure domain host" requirement),
>     thus breaking through the default osd_max_pg_per_osd_hard_ratio of 2.
>     We also use mon_max_pg_per_osd default, i.e. 200.
>
>     This appears to cause the previously active (but of course
> undersized+degraded) PGs to enter an "activating+remapped" state,
>     and hence they become unavailable.
>     Thus, data availability is reduced. All this is caused by adding an OSD!
>
>     Of course, as more and more OSDs are added until all 32 are back online,
> this situation is relaxed.
>     Still, I observe that some PGs get stuck in this "activating" state, and
> can't seem to figure out from logs or by dumping them
>     what's the actual reason. Waiting does not help, PGs stay "activating",
> data stays inaccessible.
>

> Can you upload logs from each of the OSDs that are (and should be, but
> aren't) involved with one of the PGs that happens to? (ceph-post-file) And
> create a ticket about it?

I'll reproduce in the weekend and then capture the logs, at least I did not see
anything in there, but I also am not yet too much used to reading them.

What I can already confirm for sure is that after I set:
osd_max_pg_per_osd_hard_ratio = 32
in ceph.conf (global) and deploy new OSD hosts with that, the problem has fully
vanished. I have already tested this with two machines.

Cheers,
Oliver