We are looking at 100+ nodes.

I know that the Ceph official recommendation is 1GB of RAM per 1TB of disk.
Was this ever changed since 2015?
CERN is definitely using less (source:
https://cds.cern.ch/record/2015206/files/CephScaleTestMarch2015.pdf)
RedHat suggests using 16GB + 2GB/HDD as the latest requirements.

BTW: Anyone has comments on SSD sizes for Bluestore or the other questions?

Jan

> I'd increase ram. 1GB per 1TB of disk is the recommendation.
>
> Another thing you need to consider is your node density. 12x10TB is a lot
> of data to have to rebalance if you aren't going to have 20+ nodes. I have
> 17 nodes with 24x6TB disks each. Rebuilds can take what seems like an
> eternity. It may be worth looking at cheaper sockets and smaller disks in
> order to increase your node count.
>
> How many nodes will this cluster have?
>

> On Mar 9, 2018 4:16 AM, "Ján Senko" <jan.se...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I am planning a new Ceph deployement and I have few questions that I could
> not find good answers yet.
>
> Our nodes will be using Xeon-D machines with 12 HDDs each and 64GB each.
> Our target is to use 10TB drives for 120TB capacity per node.
>
> 1. We want to have small amount of SSDs in the machines. For OS and I
> guess for WAL/DB of Bluestore. I am thinking about having a RAID 1 with two
> 400GB 2.5" SSD drives. Will this fit WAL/DB? We plan to store many small
> objects.
> 2. While doing scrub/deep scrub, is there any significant network traffic?
> Assuming we are using Erasure coding pool, how do the nodes check the
> consistency of an object? Do they transfer the whole object chunks or do
> they only transfer the checksums?
> 3. We have to decide on which HDD to use, and there is a question of HGST
> vs Seagate, 512e vs 4kn sectors, SATA vs SAS. Do you have some tips for
> these decisions? We do not have very high IO, so we do not need performance
> at any cost. As for manufacturer and the sector size, I haven't found any
> guidelines/benchmarks that would steer me towards any.
>
> Thank you for your insight
> Jan

Jan Senko, Skype janos-
Phone in Switzerland: +41 774 144 602
Phone in Czech Republic: +420 777 843 818