Hi Mathew,

We approached the problem by first running swift-bench for performance
tuning and configuration. Since it was the easiest to get up and running
and test the gateway.

Then we wrote a python script using python boto and python futures to model
our usecase and test s3.

We found the most effective performance improvement was to place the
*.rgw.buckets.index’s on nvme backed osds.

Cheers,
Tom

On Wed, 28 Mar 2018 at 11:18, Matthew Vernon <m...@sanger.ac.uk> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What are people here using to benchmark their S3 service (i.e. the rgw)?
> rados bench is great for some things, but doesn't tell me about what
> performance I can get from my rgws.
>
> It seems that there used to be rest-bench, but that isn't in Jewel
> AFAICT; I had a bit of a look at cosbench but it looks fiddly to set up
> and a bit under-maintained (the most recent version doesn't work out of
> the box, and the PR to fix that has been languishing for a while).
>
> This doesn't seem like an unusual thing to want to do, so I'd like to
> know what other ceph folk are using (and, if you like, the numbers you
> get from the benchmarkers)...?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew
>

> --
>  The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research
>  Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a
>  company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered
>  office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE
> <https://maps.google.com/?q=215+Euston+Road,+London,+NW1+2BE&entry=gmail&source=g>
> .

Thomas Bennett

SKA South Africa