On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Steve Taylor
<steve.tay...@storagecraft.com> wrote:
> I have done this with Luminous by deep-flattening a clone in a different
> pool. It seemed to do what I wanted, but the RBD appeared to lose its
> sparseness in the process.

Hmm, Luminous librbd clients should have kept object-sized sparseness
during the flatten operation [1] since it will not copy-up a zeroed,
object-sized block from the parent to the child image.  Jewel clients
would not preserve object-level sparseness, so a flatten operation
would result in a fully allocated image [2].

> Can anyone verify that and/or comment on whether Mimic's "rbd deep copy" does
> the same?

The "rbd export --export-format 2" and "rbd deep copy" actions both
preserve the sparseness of the source image since they rely on RADOS
providing the -- not restricted to object-sized sparseness like a
copy-up operation.

> Steve Taylor | Senior Software Engineer | StorageCraft Technology Corporation
> 380 Data Drive Suite 300 |?Draper | Utah | 84020
> Office: 801.871.2799 |
>
> If you are not the intended recipient of this message or received it
> erroneously, please notify the sender and delete it, together with any
> attachments, and be advised that any dissemination or copying of this message
> is prohibited.

[1]
https://github.com/ceph/ceph/blob/luminous/src/test/cli-integration/rbd/formatted-output.t#L888
[2]