FWIW: we'll be shipping Mimic on Debian with an upgraded libc6.
This is of course somewhat of a zombie Debian: our build system
initially fell apart quite a few times. But for the build system it's not
a problem -- it will be thrown away after the build finishes anyway.
These problems will occur when installation other packages that
now depend on the wrong versions/pull in half of buster.

Our OS simply comes with an upgraded libc6 - also a potential
problem. However, all of our deployments are based on the concept
of immutable infrastructure. We do not update images with apt
while they are running*. We ship one image as squashfs and
upgrading to a newer version means rebooting your server with
our new image via an automated rolling reboot process.

We will keep our mirror for Debian updated and public, but we will
not officially recommend it or "real" Debian installations that are not
based on our live image.
We've looked a little bit into building with an older libc, but it's not
worth the effort for us at the moment.

We expect to ship this with Mimic 13.2.1 assuming that it will
be stable enough. 13.2.0 with Debian is working fine so far on
our test cluster.

Paul

(* except temporarily to ensure proper order during Ceph upgrades
and security fixes of course)

> Hi Fabian,
>
> Hope your arm is doing well :)
>
> unless such a backport is created and tested fairly well (and we will
>> spend some more time investigating this internally despite the caveats
>> above), our plan B will probably involve:
>> - building Luminous for Buster to ease the upgrade from Stretch+Luminous
>>     (upgrading both base distro release and Ceph major version in one go
>>     did not work out in the past)
>> - keeping our Stretch-based release on Luminous even once Luminous is EoL
>> upstream
>> - strongly recommending to those of our users that rely on Ceph to
>>     upgrade to our (future/next) Buster-based release (which will likely
>>     get Mimic or Nautilus as default Ceph version, depending on whether
>>     the Ceph release schedule holds or not)
>> - hope this whole story does not repeat itself too often because of the
>>     inherent misalignment between Ceph and Debian release cycles
>>
>> especially the second and third point will irritate some of our users,
>> but sometimes life only hands you lemons.
>>
> We're responsible of about 6 small clusters of Proxmox + Ceph; I think
> this is the path to take.
>
> Use the time to "extend" Luminous support, maybe you can do this together
> with others, maybe even with some support from Ceph upstream. I think it
> should be less work than the gcc backport just for a few months.
>
> Just skip Mimic like you did with non LTS releases in the past. It's also
> less work for the Proxmox admins, as we'll be able to skip a Ceph upgrade
> easily.
>
> Cheers
> Eneko
>
> --
> Zuzendari Teknikoa / Director Técnico
> Binovo IT Human Project, S.L.
> Telf. 943569206
> Astigarraga bidea 2, 2º izq. oficina 11; 20180 Oiartzun (Gipuzkoa)
> www.binovo.es

Paul Emmerich

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io

croit GmbH