The increased time to list sharded buckets is currently expected, yes.
In turn other operations such as put and delete should be faster in
proportion to two factors, the number of shards on independent PGs
(serialization by PG), and the spread of shards onto independent OSD
devices (speedup from scaling onto more OSD devices, presuming
available iops on those devices).

New bucket index formats are coming in future to help listing
workloads.  Also, as of recent master (and probably Jewel and Luminous
at this point, modulo some latency for the backports) we have added an
"allow-unordered" option to S3 and Swift listing arguments that should
remove the penalty from sharding.  This causes results to be returned
in partial order, rather than the total order most applications
expect.

Matt

On Tue, Jun 19, 2018 at 9:34 AM, Matthew Vernon <m...@sanger.ac.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Some of our users have Quite Large buckets (up to 20M objects in a
> bucket), and AIUI best practice would be to have sharded indexes for
> those buckets (of the order of 1 shard per 100k objects).
>
> On a trivial test case (make a 1M-object bucket, shard index to 10
> shards, s3cmd ls s3://bucket >/dev/null), sharding makes the bucket
> listing slower (not a lot, but a bit).
>
> Are there simple(ish) workflows we could use to demonstrate an
> improvement from index sharding?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew
>
> [I understand that Luminous has dynamic resharding, but it seems a bit
> unstable for production use; is that still the case?]
>

> --
>  The Wellcome Sanger Institute is operated by Genome Research
>  Limited, a charity registered in England with number 1021457 and a
>  company registered in England with number 2742969, whose registered
>  office is 215 Euston Road, London, NW1 2BE.

Matt Benjamin
Red Hat, Inc.
315 West Huron Street, Suite 140A
Ann Arbor, Michigan 48103