Hi Paul,

ah, right, "ceph pg dump | grep remapped", that's what I was looking
for. I added the output and the result of the pg query at the end of

    https://gist.github.com/oschulz/7d637c7a1dfa28660b1cdd5cc5dffbcb

> But my guess here is that you are running a CRUSH rule to distribute across 3
racks
> and you only have 3 racks in total.

Yes - I always assumed that 3 failure domains would be suitable
for replication factor of 3. The three racks are absolutely
identical, though, hardware-wise, including HDD sizes, and we
never had any trouble like this before Luminous (we often used
significant reweighting in the past).

We are way behind on Ceph tunables though:

# ceph osd crush show-tunables
{
    "choose_local_tries": 0,
    "choose_local_fallback_tries": 0,
    "choose_total_tries": 50,
    "chooseleaf_descend_once": 1,
    "chooseleaf_vary_r": 0,
    "chooseleaf_stable": 0,
    "straw_calc_version": 1,
    "allowed_bucket_algs": 22,
    "profile": "bobtail",
    "optimal_tunables": 0,
    "legacy_tunables": 0,
    "minimum_required_version": "bobtail",
    "require_feature_tunables": 1,
    "require_feature_tunables2": 1,
    "has_v2_rules": 0,
    "require_feature_tunables3": 0,
    "has_v3_rules": 0,
    "has_v4_buckets": 0,
    "require_feature_tunables5": 0,
    "has_v5_rules": 0
}

We still have some old clients (trying to get rid of those, so I
can activate more recent tunables, but it may be a while) ...

Are my tunables at fault? If so, can you recommend a solution
or a temporary workaround?

Cheers (and thanks for helping!),

Oliver