Thank you Igor for the response.

So do I need to use this,

ceph-deploy osd create --debug --bluestore --data /dev/sdb --block-wal
/dev/nvme0n1p1 --block-db /dev/nvme0n1p2 cephdatahost1

or

ceph-deploy osd create --debug --bluestore --data /dev/sdb --block-db
/dev/nvme0n1p2 cephdatahost1

where /dev/sdb is ssd disk for osd
/dev/nvmen0n1p1 is 10G partition
/dev/nvme0n1p2 is 25G partition

Thanks,
Pardhiv K

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 9:08 AM Igor Fedotov <ifedo...@suse.de> wrote:

> Hi Pardhiv,
>
> there is no WalDB in Ceph.
>
> It's WAL (Write Ahead Log) that is a way to ensure write safety in
> RocksDB. In other words - that's just a RocksDB subsystem which can use
> separate volume though.
>
> In general For BlueStore/BlueFS one can either allocate separate volumes
> for WAL and DB or have them on the same volume. The latter is the common
> option.
>
> The separated layout makes sense when you have tiny but super-fast device
> (for WAL) and less effective (but still fast) larger drive for DB. Not to
> mention the third one for user data....
>
> E.g. HDD (user data) + SDD (DB) + NVME  (WAL) is such a layout.
>

> So for you case IMO it's optimal to have merged WAL+DB at NVME and data at
> SSD. Hence no need for separate WAL volume.
>

> Regards,
>
> Igor
>
> On 6/26/2018 10:22 PM, Pardhiv Karri wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am playing with Ceph Luminous and getting confused information around
> usage of WalDB vs RocksDB.
>
> I have 2TB NVMe drive which I want to use for Wal/Rocks DB and have 5 2TB
> SSD's for OSD.
> I am planning to create 5 30GB partitions for RocksDB on NVMe drive, do I
> need to create partitions of WalDB also on NVMe drive or does RocksDB does
> same work as WalDB plus having metadata on it?
>
> So my question is do I really need to use WalDB along with RocksDB or
> having RocksDB only is fine?
>
> Thanks,
> Pardhiv K

*Pardhiv Karri*
"Rise and Rise again until LAMBS become LIONS"