Hi Uwe,

As luck would have it we were just looking at memory allocators again and ran some quick RBD and RGW tests that stress memory allocation:

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1VlWvEDSzaG7fE4tnYfxYtzeJ8mwx4DFg

The gist of it is that tcmalloc looks like it's doing pretty well relative to the version of jemalloc and libc malloc tested (The jemalloc version here is pretty old though).  You are also correct that there have been reports of crashes with jemalloc, potentially related to rocksdb.  Right now it looks like our decision to stick with tcmalloc is still valid.  I wouldn't suggest switching unless you can find evidence that tcmalloc is behaving worse than the others (and please let me know if you do!).

Thanks,

Mark