Am 18.07.2018 um 16:20 schrieb Sage Weil:
> On Wed, 18 Jul 2018, Oliver Freyermuth wrote:

>> Hi!
>>
>> sorry for asking again, but...
>>

>>> CephFS can generate a problem rados workload too when files are deleted or
>>> truncated.  If that isn't happening in your workload then you're probably
>>> fine.  If deletes are mixed in, then you might consider pausing IO for the
>>> upgrade.
>>>
>>> FWIW, if you have been running 12.2.5 for a while and haven't encountered
>>> the OSD FileStore crashes with
>>>
>>> src/os/filestore/FileStore.cc: 5524: FAILED assert(0 == "ERROR: source must
>>> exist")
>>>
>>> but have had OSDs go up/down then you are probably okay.
>>
>> => Does this issue only affect filestore, or also bluestore?
>> In your "IMPORTANT" warning mail, you wrote:
>> "It seems to affect filestore and busy clusters with this specific
>> workload."
>> concerning this issue.
>> However, the release notes do not mention explicitly that only Filestore is
>> affected.
>>
>> Both Linh Vu and me are using Bluestore (exclusively).
>> Are we potentially affected unless we pause I/O during the upgrade?
>
> The bug should apply to both FileStore and BlueStore, but we have only
> seen crashes with FileStore.  I'm not entirely sure why that is.  One
> theory is that the filestore apply timing is different and that makes the
> bug more likely to happen.  Another is that filestore splitting is a
> "good" source of that latency that tends to trigger the bug easily.
>
> If it were me I would err on the safe side. :)

That's certainly the choice of a sage ;-).

We'll do that, too - we informed our users just now I/O will be blocked for
thirty minutes or so to give us some leeway for the upgrade...
They will certainly survive the pause with the nice weather outside :-).

Cheers and many thanks,
        Oliver