Le dimanche 22 juillet 2018 à 09:51 -0400, Satish Patel a écrit :
> I read that post and that's why I open this thread for few more
> questions and clearence,
>
> When you said OSD doesn't come up what actually that means?  After
> reboot of node or after service restart or installation of new disk?
>
> You said we are using manual method what is that?
>
> I'm building new cluster and had zero prior experience so how can I
> produce this error to see lvm is really life saving tool here? I'm
> sure there are plenty of people using but I didn't find and good
> document except that mailing list which raising more questions in my
> mind.

When I had to change a few drives manually, copying the old contents
over, I noticed that the logical volumes are tagged with lots of
information related to how they should be handled at boot time by the
OSD startup system.
These LVM tags are a good standard way to add that meta-data within the
volumes themselves. Apparently, there is no other way to add these tags
that allow for bluestore/filestore, SATA/SAS/NVMe, whole drive or
partition, etc.
They are easy to manage and fail-safe in many configurations.