On 07/25/2018 08:39 AM, Elias Abacioglu wrote:
Hi

I'm wondering why LZ4 isn't built by default for newer Linux distros like Ubuntu Xenial? I understand that it wasn't built for Trusty because of too old lz4 libraries. But why isn't built for the newer distros?

Thanks,
Elias

Hi Elias,

We only turned it on by default once it was available on all target platforms, which wasn't the case until the mimic release. This happened in https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/21332, with some prior discussion in https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/17038.

I don't know how to add build dependencies that are conditional on ubuntu version, but if you're keen to see this in luminous and have some debian packaging experience, you can target a PR against the luminous branch. I'm happy to help with review.

Casey