Yes, this is a bummer.

http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2017-November/022687.html

Unfortunately we chose to add the the Ubuntu distro codename suffixes
like "xenial" to the ceph.com packages long ago, because who knew that
the release names would ever wrap around :)

If we were to switch to "ubuntuXX.XX" suffixes (like ubuntu.com does),
our "x" suffix still sorts ahead of the letter "u" in "ubuntu". Maybe
we can fix this bug before Ubuntu releases hit "u" codenames again in
2028.

If you're do-release-upgrade'ing from Xenial to Bionic, once you've
ensured that you've disabled the xenial repos and enable the bionic
ones on your cluster nodes:

A) If you were running the latest point release of Ceph, you'll need
to "downgrade" to get the bionic builds

B) If your Xenial boxes happened to be behind the latest Ceph point
release, then you can use apt to get to the latest Ceph point release
without the apt "downgrade" operation.

- Ken