This exact problem with the OS disk and problems deploying lots of
servers in an efficient way
was the main motivator for developing our croit orchestration product:
https://croit.io

I've talked about this on a few Ceph days, but the short summary is:

We started with Ceph in 2013 and decided to use SATA DOMs with a custom
installer for Ubuntu (derived from an existing internal tool; but it's
just a live image
that calls debootstrap and creates a few config files). That worked
reasonably well
for some time.

But a year later or so more and more of the SATA DOMs started to fail
and Servers
failed in the most annoying way possible: Byzantine failures --
locking up some random
CPU cores and no longer replying to some services/requests while
appearing perfectly
healthy to others...

We thought we didn't write anything to the sticks (logs send via
rsyslogd), but I guess we
missed something. I suspect the ntp drift while might have been one of
the problems.
We had several nodes fail within a week when we decided that this
approach clearly
wasn't working out for us.
Maybe SATA DOMs are better today? This was in 2013. Maybe we should have caught
what was writing to these disks.

Anyways, there is no point in installing an operating system on
something like a Ceph
OSD server. You got lots of them and they all look the same. So I
wrote a quick and
dirty PXE live boot system based on Debian. It was really just a
collection of shell scripts
that creates the image and DHCP server configuration. Debian (and
Ubuntu) make that
*really easy*. You basically just run deboostrap, add initramfs-live,
customize the chroot
and put the result in a squashfs image, that's it. (CentOS/RHEL is
significantly more
complicated because of dracut. I do like dracut, but the way it does
live boot is unnecessarily
complicated.)

The initial prototype running on one of the OSD servers took a few
hours to create. It
then grew into an unmaintanable mess of bash scripts over the coming years...

We started croit based on this idea in early 2017. It's based on the
same concept, but
the whole implementation behind it is completely new. Dockerized
deployment, fully
featured REST API on a Kotlin/Java stack for management, vue.js HTML5 UI, ...
Also, we are still planning to open source it later this year (working
on separating
some componenents to release it as 'open core')

What I'm saying is: there are only very few circumstances under which
I would consider
installing an operating system on a server that is used as a "cattle
server". It makes no
sense in most setups, you just add a point of failure, management
overhead and you
waste time when deploying a server. Adding a new OSD server on Ceph deployments
that we manage is this simple: put server into the rack, plug it in,
boot it. That's it. No
need to install or configure *anything* on the server.
I also really like the "immutable infrastructure" part of these
deployments. I can easily
get back to clean slate by rebooting servers. I can upgrade lots of
servers by running
a rolling reboot task.

Paul

> Hi,
>
> We used a PXE boot with NFS server, but had some issues if NFS server
> crapped out and dropped connections or needed a reboot for
> maintenance. If I remember it correctly it sometimes took out some of
> the rebooted servers. So we switched to PXE with livecd based images.
> You basically create a livecd image, then boot it with specially
> prepared initramfs image and it uses a copy on write disk for basic
> storage. With mimic osd's are started automatically, just need to feed
> some basic settings for that server.
> On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 11:31 AM Florian Florensa <flor...@florensa.me> wrote:
>>
>> What about PXE booting the OSD's server ? I am considering doing these
>> sort of things as it doesn't seem that complicated.
>> A simple script could easily bring the osd back onine using some lvm
>> commands to bring the lvm back online and then some ceph-lvm activate
>> command to fire the osd's back up.

>> > Hi,

>> > some time ago we had a some Cisco Blades booting VMware esxi from SD cards
>> > and hat no issue for month …till after an update the blade was rebooted
>> > and the SD failed …and then an other on an other server … From my POV at
>> > that time the „server" SDs where not close as reliable as SSDs or rotating
>> > disks. My experiences from some years ago.

>> > Regarding performance: What kind of SDs are supported? You can get some
>> > "SDXCTM | UHS-II | U3 | Class 10 | V90“ which can handle up to 260
>> > MBytes/sec; like „Angelbird Matchpack EVA1“ ok they are Panasonic 4K
>> > Camera certified (and we use them currently to record 4K video)
>> >
>> > https://www.angelbird.com/prod/match-pack-for-panasonic-eva1-1836/
>> >
>> > My2cents . Götz

Paul Emmerich

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io