From: "David Turner" <drakonst...@gmail.com>
To: "Tyler Bishop" <tyler.bis...@beyondhosting.net>
Cc: "ceph-users" <ceph-users@lists.ceph.com>
Sent: Friday, August 31, 2018 1:31:37 AM
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] Best practices for allocating memory to bluestore
cache

Be very careful trying to utilize more RAM while your cluster is healthy. When
you're going to need the extra RAM is when you're closer is unhealthy and your
osds are peering, recovering, backfilling, etc. That's when the osd daemons
start needing the RAM that is recommended in the docs.

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018, 4:21 PM Tyler Bishop < [
mailto:tyler.bis...@beyondhosting.net | tyler.bis...@beyondhosting.net ] >
wrote:

Hi,
My OSD host has 256GB of ram and I have 52 OSD. Currently I have the cache set
to 1GB and the system only consumes around 44GB of ram and the other ram sits
as unallocated because I am using bluestore vs filestore.

The documentation: [
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/bluestore-config-ref/ |
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/configuration/bluestore-config-ref/ ]
list the defaults of ram to be used almost exclusively for the KV cache.

With a system like mine do you think It would be safe to allow 3GB cache and
change the KV ratio to 0.60?

Thanks

Tyler Bishop
EST 2007

O: 513-299-7108 x1000
M: 513-646-5809
[ http://beyondhosting.net/ | http://BeyondHosting.net ]

This email is intended only for the recipient(s) above and/or otherwise
authorized personnel. The information contained herein and attached is
confidential and the property of Beyond Hosting. Any unauthorized copying,
forwarding, printing, and/or disclosing any information related to this email
is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please contact the sender
and destroy all copies of this email and any attachment(s).