On 09/04/2018 09:47 AM, Jörg Kastning wrote:
> My questions are:
>
>  1. What does active+undersized actually mean? I did not find anything
> about it in the documentation on docs.ceph.com.

http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/pg-states/

active
    Ceph will process requests to the placement group.

undersized
    The placement group has fewer copies than the configured pool
replication level.

Your crush map/rules and osds do not allow to have all pgs on three
"independent" osds, so pgs have fewer copies than configured.

>  2. Why are only 15 PGs were getting remapped after I've corrected the
> mistake with the wrong pgp_num value?

By pure chance 15 pgs are now actually replicated to all 3 osds, so they
have enough copies (clean). But the placement is "wrong", it would like
to move the data to different osds (remapped) if possible.

It replicated to 2 osds in the initial placement but wasn't able to find
a suitable third osd. Then by increasing pgp_num it recalculated the
placement, again selected two osds and moved the data there. It won't
remove the data from the "wrong" osd until it has a new place for it, so
you end up with three copies, but remapped pgs.

>  3. What's wrong here and what do I have to do to get the cluster back
> to active+clean, again?

I guess you want to have "two copies in dc1, one copy in dc2"?

If you stay with only 3 osds that is the only way to distribute 3
objects anyway, so you don't need any crush rule.

What your crush rule is currently expressing is

"in the default root, select n buckets (where n is the pool size, 3 in
this case) of type datacenter, select one leaf (meaning osd) in each
datacenter". You only have 2 datacenter buckets, so that will only ever
select 2 osds.

If your cluster is going to grow to at least 2 osds in each dc, you can
go with

http://cephnotes.ksperis.com/blog/2017/01/23/crushmap-for-2-dc/

I would translate this crush rule as

"in the default root, select 2 buckets of type datacenter, select n-1
(where n is the pool size, so here 3-1 = 2) leafs in each datacenter"

You will need at least two osds in each dc for this, because it is
random (with respect to the weights) in which dc the 2 copies will be
placed and which gets the remaining copy.

Best regards,
Lothar

--
Lothar Gesslein