I haven't found any mention of this on the ML and Google's results are all
about compiling your own kernel to use NBD on CentOS. Is everyone that's
using rbd-nbd on CentOS honestly compiling their own kernels for the
clients? This feels like something that shouldn't be necessary anymore.

I would like to use the balancer module with upmap, but can't do that with
kRBD because even the latest kernels still register as Jewel. What have
y'all done to use rbd-nbd on CentOS? I'm hoping I'm missing something and
not that I'll need to compile a kernel to use on all of the hosts that I
want to map RBDs to.

Alternatively there's rbd-fuse, but in it's current state it's too slow for
me. There's a [1] PR for an update to rbd-fuse that is promising. I have
seen the custom version of this rbd-fuse in action and it's really
impressive on speed. It can pretty much keep pace with the kernel client.
However, even if that does get merged, it'll be quite a while before it's
back-ported into a release.

[1] https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/23270