min_size should be at least k+1 for EC. There are times to use k for
emergencies like you had. I would suggest seeing it back to 3 once your
back to healthy.

As far as why you needed to reduce min_size, my guess would be that
recovery would have happened as long as k copies were up. Were the PG's
refusing to backfill or just hang backfilled yet?