Are you sure the down OSD didn't happen to have any data required for the
re-balance to complete? How long has the down now removed OSD been out?
Before or after your increased PG count?

If you do "ceph health detail" and then pick a stuck PG what does "ceph pg
PG query" output?

Has your ceph -s output changed at all since the last paste?