Hi Dan,

ZFS without sync would be very much identical to ext2/ext4 without journals
or XFS with barriers disabled.
The ARC cache in ZFS is awesome but disbaling sync on ZFS is a very high
risk (using ext4 with kvm-mode unsafe would be similar I think).

Also, ZFS only works as expected with scheduler set to noop as it is
optimized to consume whole, non-shared devices.

Just my 2 cents ;-)

Kevin