On Tue, 4 Dec 2018 at 18:04, Vasu Kulkarni <vakul...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 4, 2018 at 2:42 PM Matthew Pounsett <m...@conundrum.com>
> wrote:
>
>> you are using HOST:DIR option which is bit old and I think it was
>> supported till jewel,  since you are using 2.0.1 you should be using  only
>> 'osd create' with logical volume or full block device as defined here:
>> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/ceph-volume/lvm/prepare/#ceph-volume-lvm-prepare-filestore
>> , ceph-deploy calls ceph-volume with the same underlying syntax. Since this
>> is a VM, you can just add addtional smaller raw devices (eg: /dev/sde ) and
>> use that for journal.

As explained above, we can't just create smaller raw devices.  Yes, these
are VMs but they're meant to replicate physical servers that will be used
in production, where no such volumes are available.

So.. we're trying to figure out how to replicate the configuration we've
been using where the ceph data is stored on the OS filesystem.