> If a CephFS client receive a cap release request and it is able to
> perform it (no processes accessing the file at the moment), the client
> cleaned up its internal state and allows the MDS to release the cap.
> This cleanup also involves removing file data from the page cache.
>
> If your MDS was running with a too small cache size, it had to revoke
> caps over and over to adhere to its cache size, and the clients had to
> cleanup their cache over and over, too.

Well.. It could just mark it "elegible for future cleanup" - if the client
has not use of the available memory, then this is just trashing
local client memory cache for a file that goes into use again in a few
minutes from here. - based on your description, this is what we have
been seeing.

Bumping MDS memory has pushed our problem and our setup works fine, but
above behaviour still seems very "unoptimal" - of course if the file
changes - feel free to active prune - but hey - why actually - the
it will get no hits in the client LRU cache and be automatically
evicted by the client anyway.

I feel this is messing up with thing that has worked well for a few
decades now, but I may just be missing the fine grained details.

> Hope this helps.

Definately - thanks.

--
Jesper