My recommendation would be to for sure use battery backed up raid controllers
for spinning disks -just a RAID 0 per disk- and use IT mode controllers for
SSDs. We did plenty of testing and spinning disks REALLY benefit from raid
controller write cache -in write back mode-, but SSDs are faster with IT mode
controllers.

Saludos Cordiales,
Xavier Trilla P.
Clouding.io<https://clouding.io/>

¿Un Servidor Cloud con SSDs, redundado
y disponible en menos de 30 segundos?

¡Pruébalo ahora en Clouding.io<https://clouding.io/>!

El 31 des 2018, a les 17:15, Marc Schöchlin
<m...@256bit.org<mailto:m...@256bit.org>> va escriure:

Hi,

our dell servers contain "PERC H730P Mini" raid controllers with 2GB battery
backed cache memory.
All of our ceph osd disks (typically 12 * 8GB spinners or  16 * 1-2 TBssds per
node) are used directly without using the raid functionality.

We deactivated the cache of the controller for the osd disks completely for
spinners and ssds in the lifecycle controller:

- writing: to prevent cache access contention (throughput of cache might create
latency spikes because the disks do 90% write load)
- reading: ceph is used as storage system for virtualized systems (XEN with
rbd-nbd)
  -> we already have several levels of caching which should prevent re-reading
of data: pagecache of the virtualized systems, rbd cache of rbd-bd, bluestore
cache on the osd

Do you see scenarios where it might be a good idea to activate the cache anyway?

Regards
Marc