On Wed, Jan 16, 2019 at 7:12 PM Andras Pataki
<apat...@flatironinstitute.org> wrote:

> Hi Ilya/Kjetil,
>
> I've done some debugging and tcpdump-ing to see what the interaction
> between the kernel client and the mon looks like.  Indeed -
> CEPH_MSG_MAX_FRONT defined as 16Mb seems low for the default mon
> messages for our cluster (with osd_mon_messages_max at 100).  We have
> about 3500 osd's, and the kernel advertises itself as older than

This is too big, especially for a fairly large cluster such as yours.
The default was reduced to 40 in luminous.  Given about 3500 OSDs, you
might want to set it to 20 or even 10.

> Luminous, so it gets full map updates.  The FRONT message size on the
> wire I saw was over 24Mb.  I'll try setting osd_mon_messages_max to 30
> and do some more testing, but from the debugging it definitely seems
> like the issue.
>
> Is the kernel driver really not up to date to be considered at least a
> Luminous client by the mon (i.e. it has some feature really missing)?  I
> looked at the bits, and the MON seems to want is bit 59 in ceph features
> shared by FS_BTIME, FS_CHANGE_ATTR, MSG_ADDR2.  Can the kernel client be
> used when setting require-min-compat to luminous (either with the 4.19.x
> kernel or the Redhat/Centos 7.6 kernel)?  Some background here would be
> helpful.

Yes, the kernel client is missing support for that feature bit, however
4.13+ and RHEL 7.5+ _can_ be used with require-min-compat-client set to
luminous.  See

http://lists.ceph.com/pipermail/ceph-users-ceph.com/2018-May/027002.html

Thanks,

                Ilya