From: Sage Weil <s...@newdream.net>
Sent: 04 February 2019 06:59
To: Philippe Van Hecke
Cc: ceph-users@lists.ceph.com; Belnet Services
Subject: Re: [ceph-users] Luminous cluster in very bad state need some
assistance.

On Mon, 4 Feb 2019, Philippe Van Hecke wrote:
> Hi Sage, First of all tanks for your help
>
> Please find here
> https://filesender.belnet.be/?s=download&token=dea0edda-5b6a-4284-9ea1-c1fdf88b65e9
> the osd log with debug info for osd.49. and indeed if all buggy osd can
> restart that can may be solve the issue.
> But i also happy that you confirm my understanding that in the worst case
> removing pool can also resolve the problem even in this case i lose data  but
> finish with a working cluster.

If PGs are damaged, removing the pool would be part of getting to
HEALTH_OK, but you'd probably also need to remove any problematic PGs that
are preventing the OSD starting.

But keep in mind that (1) i see 3 PGs that don't peer spread across pools
11 and 12; not sure which one you are considering deleting.  Also (2) if
one pool isn't fully available it generall won't be a problem for other
pools, as long as the osds start.  And doing ceph-objectstore-tool
export-remove is a pretty safe way to move any problem PGs out of the way
to get your OSDs starting--just make sure you hold onto that backup/export
because you may need it later!

> PS: don't know and don't want to open debat about top/bottom posting but
> would like to know the preference of this list :-)

No preference :)

sage