Clients' experience depends on whether at the very moment they need to
read/write to those particular PGs involved in peering.
If their objects are placed in another PGs, then I/O operations shouldn't
be impacted.
If clients were performing I/O ops to those PGs that went into peering,
then they will notice increased latency. That's the case for Object and RBD.
In case of CephFS I have no experience.

Peering of several PGs does not mean the whole cluster is unavailable
during that time. Only a tiny part of it.
Also, those 6 seconds is a period of the "PG_AVAIL health check warning"
duration. It is not the length of each PG unavailablity.
It's the cluster which noticed that during that time some groups performed
peering.
In a proper setup and healthy conditions one group peers in fractions of
second.

Restarting an OSD causes the same thing. However is more "smooth" than an
unexpected death (going into the details would require quite a long
elaboration).
If your setup is correct, you should be able to perform a cluster-wide
restart of everything and only effect visible outside would be a slightly
increased latency.

Kind regards,
Maks

sob., 16 lut 2019 o 21:39 <jes...@krogh.cc> napisaƂ(a):