Hi,

Well, I've just reacted to all the text at the beginning of
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/luminous/rados/operations/add-or-rm-mons/#changing-a-monitor-s-ip-address-the-messy-way
including the title "the messy way". If the cluster is clean I see no
reason for doing brain surgery on monmaps
just to "save" a few minutes of redoing correctly from scratch.

with that I would agree. Careful planning and an installation following the docs should be first priority. But I would also encourage users to experiment with ceph before going into production. Dealing with failures and outages on a production cluster causes much more headache than on a test cluster. ;-)

If the cluster is empty anyway, I would also rather reinstall it, it doesn't take that much time. I just wanted to point out that there is a way that worked for me, although that was only a test cluster.

Regards,
Eugen