Hi,

we are about to setup a new Ceph cluster for our Openstack cloud. Ceph is used for images, volumes and object storage. I'm unsure to handle these cases and how to move the data correctly.

Object storage:

I consider this the easiest case, since RGW itself provides the necessary means to synchronize clusters. But the pools are rather small (~5 TB for buckets), so maybe there's an easier way? How does RGW refer to the various pools internally? By name? By ID? (ID would be a problem, since a simple pool copy won't work in this case)

Images:

Straight-forward attempt would be exporting all images with qemu-img from one cluster, and uploading them again on the second cluster. But this will break snapshots, protections etc.

Volumes:

This is the most difficult case. The pool is the largest one affected (~60 TB), and many volumes are boot-from-volume instances acting as COW copy for an image. I would prefer not to flatten these images and thus generate a lot more data.

There are other pools we use outside of Openstack, so adding the new hosts to the existing cluster, moving the data by crush rules and splitting the cluster afterwards is not an option. Keeping all hosts in a single cluster and separating the pools logically within crush is also undesired due to administrative reasons (but will be the last resort if necessary).

Any comments on this? How did you move individual pools to a new cluster in the past?

Regards,

Burkhard