I think this got dealt with on irc, but for those following along at home:

I think the problem here is that you've set the central config to
disable authentication, but the client doesn't know what those config
options look like until it's connected — which it can't do, because
it's demanding encryption.
(Or, possibly, the other way around if you wrote it locally but didn't
restart the monitors and other daemons after updating their configs.)

Note also that there are a number of auth settings and the only one
named is auth_client_required, but there's also auth_cluster_required
and auth_service_required for the long-running daemons...