An update.

We noticed contradicting output from chrony. "chronyc sources" showed that chrony was synced. However, we also noted this output:

root@ceph2:/etc/chrony# chronyc activity
200 OK
0 sources online
4 sources offline
0 sources doing burst (return to online)
0 sources doing burst (return to offline)
0 sources with unknown address

so "chrony activity" shows OFFLINE sources.

After we changed sources to nl.pool.ntp.org, "chronyc activity" started showing the sources as ONLINE, and now, after a day running, our skew as reported by "ceph time-sync-status" is 0.000000 on all hosts.

Seems that replying on "chronyc sources" is not always enough to make sure that everything is synced indeed.

Thanks for the help!

MJ