On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 11:03 AM Rainer Krienke <krie...@uni-koblenz.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> for a fresh setup ceph cluster I see a strange difference in the number
> of existing pools in the output of ceph -s and what I know that should
> be there: no pools at all.
>
> I set up a fresh Nautilus cluster with 144 OSDs on 9 hosts. Just to play
> around I created a pool named rbd with
>
> $ ceph osd pool create rbd 512 512 replicated
>
> In ceph -s I saw the pool but also saw a warning:
>
>  cluster:
>     id:     a-b-c-d-e
>     health: HEALTH_WARN
>             too few PGs per OSD (21 < min 30)
>
> So I experimented around, removed the pool (ceph osd pool remove rbd)
> and it was gone in ceph osd lspools, and created a new one with some
> more PGs and repeated this a few times with larger PG nums. In the end
> in the output of ceph -s I see that 4 pools do exist:
>
>   cluster:
>     id:     a-b-c-d-e
>     health: HEALTH_OK
>
>   services:
>     mon: 3 daemons, quorum c2,c5,c8 (age 8h)
>     mgr: c2(active, since 8h)
>     osd: 144 osds: 144 up (since 8h), 144 in (since 8h)
>
>   data:
>     pools:   4 pools, 0 pgs
>     objects: 0 objects, 0 B
>     usage:   155 GiB used, 524 TiB / 524 TiB avail
>     pgs:
>
> but:
>
> $ ceph osd lspools
> <empty>
>
> Since I deleted each pool I created, 0 pools is the correct answer.
> I could add another "ghost" pool by creating another pool named rbd with
> only 512 PGs and then delete it again right away. ceph -s would then
> show me 5 pools. This is the way I came from 3 to 4 "ghost pools".
>
> This does not seem to happen if I use 2048 PGs for the new pool which I
> do delete right afterwards. In this case the pool is created and ceph -s
> shows one pool more (5) and if delete this pool again the counter in
> ceph -s goes back to 4 again.
>
> How can I fix the system so that ceph -s also understands that are
> actually no pools? There must be some inconsistency. Any ideas?

I don't really see how this particular error can happen and be
long-lived, but if you restart the ceph-mgr it will probably resolve
itself.
("ceph osd lspools" looks directly at the OSDMap in the monitor,
whereas the "ceph -s" data output is generated from the manager's
pgmap, but there's a tight link where the pgmap gets updated and
removes dead pools on every new OSDMap the manager sees and I can't
see how that would go wrong.)
-Greg