Thanks for chiming in Konstantin!

Wouldn't setting this value to 0 disable the sharding?

Reference: http://docs.ceph.com/docs/mimic/radosgw/config-ref/

rgw override bucket index max shards
object, a value of zero indicates there is no sharding. It is not
recommended to set a value too large (e.g. thousand) as it increases
the cost for bucket listing. This variable should be set in the client
or global sections so that it is automatically applied to
radosgw-admin commands.
Type:Integer
Default:0

rgw dynamic resharding is enabled:
ceph daemon mon.controller1 config show | grep rgw_dynamic_resharding
    "rgw_dynamic_resharding": "true",

I'd like to know more about the purpose of our .usage pool and the
'usage_log_pool' in general as I cant find much about this component
of ceph.