Basically they max out at around 1000 IOPS and report 100%
utilization and feel slow.

Haven't seen the 5200 yet.

Micron 5100s performs wonderfully!

You have to just turn its write cache off:

hdparm -W 0 /dev/sdX

1000 IOPS means you haven't done it. Although even with write cache enabled I observe like ~5000 iops, not 1000, but that delta is probably just eaten by Ceph :))

With write cache turned off 5100 is capable of up to 40000 write iops. 5200 is slightly worse, but only slightly: it still gives ~25000 iops.

Funny thing is that the same applies to a lot of server SSDs with supercapacitors. As I understand when their write cache is turned on every `fsync` is translated to SATA FLUSH CACHE, and the latter is interpreted by the drive as "please flush all caches, including capacitor-protected write cache".

And when you turn it off the drive just writes at its full speed and doesn't flush the cache because it has capacitors to account for a possible power loss.

You don't need to disable cache explicitly only with some HBAs that do it internally.