Am 5/28/19 um 5:37 PM schrieb Casey Bodley:

On 5/28/19 11:17 AM, Scheurer François wrote:
Hi Casey

I greatly appreciate your quick and helpful answer :-)

It's unlikely that we'll do that, but if we do it would be announced with a long deprecation period and migration strategy.
Fine, just the answer we wanted to hear ;-)

However, I would still caution against using either as a strategy for
key management, especially when (as of mimic) the ceph configuration is
centralized in the ceph-mon database [1][2]. If there are gaps in our
sse-kms integration that makes it difficult to use in practice, I'd
really like to address those.
sse-kms is working great, no issue or gaps with it.
We already use it in our openstack (rocky) with barbican and ceph/radosgw (luminous).

But we have customers that want encryption by default, something like SSE-S3 (cf. below).
Do you know if there are plans to implement something similar?
I would love to see support for sse-s3. We've talked about building something around vault (which I think is what minio does?), but so far nobody has taken it up as a project.

What about accepting empty HTTP header "x-amz-server-side-encryption" or "x-amz-server-side-encryption: AES256" if

rgw crypt default encryption key =

is enabled. Even if this RadosGW "default encryption key" feature is not implemented the same way SSE-S3 is - still the data is encrypted by AES256. This would improve compatibility with the S3 API and client tools like s3cmd and awscli.

Using dm-crypt would cost too much time for the conversion (72x 8TB SATA disks...) . And dm-crypt is also storing its key on the monitors (cf. https://www.spinics.net/lists/ceph-users/msg52402.html).

Best Regards
Francois Scheurer

Amazon SSE-3 description:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/dev/UsingServerSideEncryption.html Protecting Data Using Server-Side Encryption with Amazon S3-Managed Encryption Keys (SSE-S3) Server-side encryption protects data at rest. Amazon S3 encrypts each object with a unique key. As an additional safeguard, it encrypts the key itself with a master key that it rotates regularly. Amazon S3 server-side encryption uses one of the strongest block ciphers available, 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES-256), to encrypt your data.

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/AmazonS3/latest/API/RESTBucketPUTencryption.html
The following is an example of the request body for setting SSE-S3.
<ServerSideEncryptionConfiguration xmlns="http://s3.amazonaws.com/doc/2006-03-01/";>
   <Rule>
     <ApplyServerSideEncryptionByDefault>
             <SSEAlgorithm>AES256</SSEAlgorithm>
     </ApplyServerSideEncryptionByDefault>
</Rule>
</ServerSideEncryptionConfiguration>

Removing support for either of rgw_crypt_default_encryption_key or
rgw_crypt_s3_kms_encryption_keys would mean that objects encrypted with
those keys would no longer be accessible. It's unlikely that we'll do
that, but if we do it would be announced with a long deprecation period
and migration strategy.

However, I would still caution against using either as a strategy for
key management, especially when (as of mimic) the ceph configuration is
centralized in the ceph-mon database [1][2]. If there are gaps in our
sse-kms integration that makes it difficult to use in practice, I'd
really like to address those.

Casey

[1]
https://ceph.com/community/new-mimic-centralized-configuration-management/