On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 9:29 AM Wesley Dillingham
<wdilling...@godaddy.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am hoping to expose a REST API to a remote client group who would like to
> do things like:
>

> Create, List, and Delete RBDs and map them to gateway (make a LUN)
> Create snapshots, list, delete, and rollback
> Determine Owner / Active gateway of a given lun

It currently doesn't have any RBAC style security so I would be weary
about exposing the current REST API to arbitrary users since you would
give them full access to do anything. The Ceph dashboard in Nautilus
(and also improved in the master branch) has lots of hooks to
configure LUNs via the rbd-target-api REST API as another alternative
to look at.

> I would run 2-4 nodes running rbd-target-gw and rbd-target-api however client
> wishes to not use multi-path, wants to connect directly and only to active
> gateway for that lun

The current rbd-target-api doesn't really support single path LUNs.

> In order to prevent re-inventing the wheel I was hoping to simply expose the
> rbd-target-api directly to client but am wondering if this is appropriate.
>
> My concern is that I am taking gwcli out off the picture by using
> rbd-target-api directly and am wondering if the rbd-target-api on its own is
> able to propagate changes in the config up to the RADOS configuration object
> and thus keep all the gateways in sync.

gwcli just uses rbd-target-api to do the work, and rbd-target-api is
responsible for keeping the gateways in-sync with each other.

> My other thought was to build a simple and limited in scope api which on the
> backend runs gwcli commands.
>
> Thank you for clarification on the functionality and appropriate use.
>
> Respectfully,
>
> Wes Dillingham
> wdilling...@godaddy.com
> Site Reliability Engineer IV - Platform Storage / Ceph

Jason