Den fre 14 juni 2019 kl 13:58 skrev Sean Redmond <sean.redmo...@gmail.com>:

> Hi Ceph-Uers,
> I noticed that Soft Iron now have hardware acceleration for Erasure
> Coding[1], this is interesting as the CPU overhead can be a problem in
> addition to the extra disk I/O required for EC pools.
> Does anyone know if any other work is ongoing to support generic FPGA
> Hardware Acceleration for EC pools, or if this is just a vendor specific
> feature.
>
> [1]
> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/05/20/softiron_unleashes_accepherator_an_erasure_coding_accelerator_for_ceph/

Are there numbers anywhere to see how "tough" on a CPU it would be to
calculate an EC code compared to "writing a sector to
a disk on a remote server and getting an ack back" ? To my very untrained
eye, it seems like a very small part of the whole picture,
especially if you are meant to buy a ton of cards to do it.