Den tis 16 juli 2019 kl 16:16 skrev M Ranga Swami Reddy <
swamire...@gmail.com>:

> Hello - I have created 10 nodes ceph cluster with 14.x version. Can you
> please confirm below:
> Q1 - Can I create 100+ pool (or more) on the cluster? (the reason is -
> creating a pool per project). Any limitation on pool creation?
>
> Q2 - In the above pool - I use 128 PG-NUM - to start with and enable
> autoscale for PG_NUM, so that based on the data in the pool, PG_NUM will
> increase by ceph itself.

12800 PGs in total might be a bit much, depending on how many OSDs you have
in total for these pools. OSDs aim for something like ~100 PGs per OSD at
most, so for 12800 PGs in total, times 3 for replication=3 makes it
necessary to have quite many OSDs per host. I guess the autoscaler might be
working downwards for your pools instead of upwards. There is nothing wrong
with starting with PG_NUM 8 or so, and have autoscaler increase the pools
that actually do get a lot of data.

100 pools * repl = 3 * pg_num 8 => 2400 PGs, which is fine for 24 OSDs but
would need more OSDs as some of those pools grow in data/objects.

100 * 3 * 128 => 38400 PGs, which requires 384 OSDs, or close to 40 OSDs
per host in your setup. That might become a limiting factor in itself,
sticking so many OSDs in a single box.