We’ve been debugging this a while.  The data pool was originally EC backed with
the bucket indexes on HDD pools. Moving the metadata to SSD backed pools
improved usability and consistency and the change from EC to replicated
improved the rados layer iops by 4x, but didn't seem to affect rgw IOPS
performance very much. Based on that I think there is a configuration setup
error somewhere.

We can try it but not sure that the hardware is the bottleneck.

It would be good to understand if there is any performance counters or metrics
we should be looking at to see where the issue might be.

---
Ravi Patel, PhD
Machine Learning Systems Lead

<http://kheironmed.com/> | supporting radiologists with deep learning