On 19/7/19 8:43 pm, Marc Roos wrote:

> Maybe a bit of topic, just curious what speeds did you get previously?
> Depending on how you test your native drive of 5400rpm, the performance
> could be similar. 4k random read of my 7200rpm/5400 rpm results in
> ~60iops at 260kB/s.

Well, to be honest I never formally tested the performance prior to the
move to Bluestore.  It was working "acceptably" for my needs, thus I
never had a reason to test it.

It was never a speed demon, but it did well enough for my needs.  Had
Filestore on BTRFS remained an option in Ceph v12, I'd have stayed that way.

> I also wonder why filestore could be that much faster, is this not
> something else? Maybe some dangerous caching method was on?

My understanding is that Bluestore does not benefit from the Linux
kernel filesystem cache.  On paper, Bluestore *should* be faster, but
it's hard to know for sure.

Maybe I should try migrating back to Filestore and see if that improves
things?
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...