I have had good luck with YCSB as an initial assessment of different
storage systems.  Typically I'll use this first when I am playing with
a new system, but I like to switch to the more native tools (rados
bench, cassandra-stress, etc etc) as soon as I am more comfortable.

And I can definitely second what mnelson said about Zipfian... it is
great for trying to get a more real-world test but if you're not
careful you'll end up benchmarking your cache instead.

Mark