Good points in both posts, but I think there’s still some unclarity.

Absolutely let’s talk about DB and WAL together.  By “bluestore goes on flash”
I assume you mean WAL+DB?

“Simply allocate DB and WAL will appear there automatically”

Forgive me please if this is obvious, but I’d like to see a holistic
explanation of WAL and DB sizing *together*, which I think would help folks put
these concepts together and plan deployments with some sense of confidence.

We’ve seen good explanations on the list of why only specific DB sizes, say
30GB, are actually used _for the DB_.
If the WAL goes along with the DB, shouldn’t we also explicitly determine an
appropriate size N for the WAL, and make the partition (30+N) GB?
If so, how do we derive N?  Or is it a constant?

Filestore was so much simpler, 10GB set+forget for the journal.  Not that I
miss XFS, mind you.