Hi

I have question regarding supervised/automatic balancing using upmap.

I created a  plan in supervised mode, but its score was not expected to
improve the data distribution. But the automatic balancer triggered a
considerable rebalance.
Is this normal ? I thought that automatic balancing basically means running
from time to time the balancer in supervised mode,

More details on what I tried:

I changed the balancer mode of my luminous cluster from crush-compact to
upmap:

ceph balancer off
ceph osd set-require-min-compat-client luminous
ceph osd crush weight-set rm-compat

This triggered some rebalance. When done (i.e. when the status was
HEALTH_OK) I issued:

ceph balancer mode upmap

I then tried to run the balancer in supervised mode:

# ceph balancer optimize myplan
# ceph balancer eval myplan

But the returned value was greater than the value returned by "ceph
balancer eval"

I then tried with the automatic balancer:

ceph balancer on

which started moving objects improving A LOT the data distribution.

Thanks, Massimo