(Slightly abbreviated)

Den tors 24 okt. 2019 kl 09:24 skrev Frank Schilder <fr...@dtu.dk>:

>  What I learned are the following:
>
> 1) Avoid this work-around too few hosts for EC rule at all cost.
>
> 2) Do not use EC 2+1. It does not offer anything interesting for
> production. Use 4+2 (or 8+2, 8+3 if you have the hosts).
>
> 3) If you have no perspective of getting at least 7 servers in the long
> run (4+2=6 for EC profile, +1 for fail-over automatic rebuild), do not go
> for EC.
>
> 4) Before you start thinking about replicating to a second site, you
> should have a primary site running solid first.
>
> This is collected from my experience. I would do things different now and
> maybe it helps you with deciding how to proceed. Its basically about what
> resources can you expect in the foreseeable future and what compromises are
> you willing to make with regards to sleep and sanity.

Amen to all of those points. We did similar-but-not-same mistakes on an EC
cluster here. You are going to produce more tears than I/O if you make
these mis-designs mentioned above.
We could add:

5) Never buy SMR drives, pretend they don't even exist. If a similar
technology appears tomorrow for cheap SSD/NVME, skip it.