Hi Fred,

On Aug 14, 2013, at 14:01 , Fred Stratton <fredstrat...@imap.cc> wrote:

> On 14 Aug 2013, at 12:42, Sebastian Moeller <moell...@gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi Fred,
>>

>> On Aug 13, 2013, at 21:40 , Fred Stratton <fredstrat...@imap.cc> wrote:
>>
>>> (apologies for wrecking the list, and introducing email addresses in error)
>>>

>>> Begin forwarded message

>>      I will try to fix the AQM scripts to make these two mutually exclusive.
>> That said, the HTB internal implementation does not seem to work at all, so
>> enabling both should be equivalent to just enabling stab. In my quick and
>> dirty testing (using netsurf-wrapper, which I got working on macosx 10.8) it
>> looks like activating both actually should work. BTW I am looking for an
>> open netsurf server in Europe anybody any ideas?
>
> I am actually getting better results from htb than td-stab at present.

        Then I will have to test an compare the RRUL performance for
stab-linklayeradjustments (loa), htb-lla, no-lla, no-shaping at all, at 50% of
link rate and at say 80% of link rate and see which performs best. Alas I need
a closer netperf 2.6.0 net server binary than the ones in NY and CA. So far I
am failing to find a windows binary I could run on one of the machines in the
lab…
        How do you measure currently? I would love to run the same tests to
figure out what is up with the two loa methods.

>>      Interesting, I managed to install it under 64bit Ubuntu 12.04 in a
>> virtual machine, using the packages Toke supplied. I just added
>> http://archive.tohojo.dk/ to "Software Sources" in "Update Manager" than I
>> could use the "Synaptic Package Manager" to install netperf and
>> netperf-wrapper from Toke's repository; so I guess no ned to compile
>> anything. (Under maces however installing netsurf-wrapper was slightly more
>> involved as the recommended way via pip did not work, so I had to download
>> the netperf-wrapper repository from
>> https://github.com/tohojo/netperf-wrapper and the cd into the downloaded
>> directory and issue "sudo python2.7 ./setup.py install" there and I had to
>> symplink python2.7 to python2, but after that it also worked).
>>      Just as a illustration what to expect, please find attached the RRUL
>> results with stab based AQM und without any AQM; clearly fq_codel improves
>> the ping RTTs a lot, so AQM works. Alas, I did not repeat this test with
>> shaping enabled but no link layer adjustments or with the HTB link layer
>> adjustments, so can not really tell, whether RRUL is sensitive enough to
>> show the effects of link layer adjustments or not (my bet is on not as RRUL
>> in my understanding uses large packets while the ATM quantization effects
>> are strongest for small packets). I might try to do this tonight or when I
>> get around to do it…
>>      I would be really curious to see such plots from your setup for
>> comparison.
>
> Will try your suggestion for Ubuntu.
>

>> <figure_5.png><figure_6_like_5_noAQM.png>

>>      Ah, good, I might try 3.10.6-1 then directly in tftp mode. Does anyone
>> know how much time I have between releasing the reset button and starting
>> the tftp transfer?
>>
> sys upgrade does not work with the latest build. If you have to press the
> recovery button during restart, I cannot se tftp. Does anyone know of
> programmatic alternatives?

        Ah, then is is going to be TFTP I guess. What do you mean by "If you
have to press the recovery button during restart, I cannot se tftp"? Does the
"reboot-with-reset-button-pressed" not work after a failed sys upgrade?

Best Regards
        Sebastian